Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Different Kind Of Capitalism (or "patient capitalism")



"They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I took mine and fell flat on my face. As a young woman, I dreamed of changing the world. In my twenties, I went to africa to try and save the continent, only to learn that Africans neither wanted nor needed saving. Indeed, when I was there, I saw some of the worst that good intentions, traditional charity, and aid can produce...
I concluded that if I could only nudge the world a little bit, maybe that would be enough.
But nudging isn't enough."
-Jacqueline Novogratz

If you are interested in exploring VC to make social changes I highly recommend listing to the NPR podcast named Different Kind Of Capitalism
This is the link to the main page http://being.publicradio.org/programs/2010/different-kind-of-capitalism/index.shtml (look for Download, Listen now or Podcast")
Listen to the interview with the wonderful Jacqueline Novogratz founder and CEO of Acumen Fund, a non-profit global venture capital fund that uses entrepreneurial approaches to solve the problems of global poverty http://www.acumenfund.org/about-us/our-team/jacqueline-novogratz.html

“The devastation of the Haiti earthquakes and the lack of infrastructure for responding to the disaster have deepened an ongoing debate over foreign aid, international development, and helping the poorest of the world's poor. Jacqueline Novogratz, whose Acumen Fund is reinventing that landscape with what it calls "patient capitalism," is charting a third way between investment for profit and aid for free.”

No comments: