Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Push hard so you can lift, but not so hard that you tip over

"There are an infinite number of yoga asanas." Sri Dharma Mittra

The Asana is a common term used to describe the posters taken during the Hatha Yoga practice, which is the physical aspect of the practice of yoga. The depth of the practice of the asana has sacred elements that are not necessarily visible at tall times. But some Asanas are fun to look at and try to investigate.
This is the story of my investigation of Pincha Mayurasana (Forearm Stand.) At first, as I tried to lift, I was afraid of tipping over: I didn’t kick hard enough to get to a vertical position. After overcoming that fear, I started kicking too hard. Every time I lifted I found myself on my back.
At last, with breath, control and a smile, I was able to lift. By rooting to the ground, I was able to stay up for an extended amount of time. I learned that Pincha Mayurasana is like life: you have to push hard to lift, but not so hard that you tip over.
Once I was lifted in the pose, I also learned that being upside down gives you a different perspective, that rooting is not only from the legs but also from the hands, and that limits that we set in our mind can be overcome by practice, breath, and intention.

As the number of asanas is infinite, you can learn from the physical posture and poses of our bodies and our surroundings at all times and not only during practice. This is a great opportunity to take the practice off the mat and into our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

god, you're hot...